Summary Page: Former House

Name: Fontcaude, B.M.V.

Circary at the Time: Gasconia

Years of Activity: 1154-1790 (O. Praem: 1177-1768)

Gallery:  Click Here

Map: Click Here (Source:  © MapQuest


Monasticon Praemonstratense (III, 181)

Approximate modern location: Southern France, between Toulouse and Montpelier. 

Elm-Number [See below]: 224*

Other Comments: Founded as an Augustinian canonry (O.S.A.) in 1154.  Under Premonstratensian jurisdiction from 1177.  Elevated to Abbatial status in 1179, under the paternal authority of Combelongue.  Plundered by Calvinists in 1567, and thereafter in a state of relative poverty.  Due to its lamentable state, it was suppressed by the local Ordinary in 1768, whose remaining canons were sent to live at the parish of Savignac.  In 1764 a new commendatory abbot was named, and remained in this office in a titular fashion until 1790 when the abbey was suppressed by the government of the French Republic.

* This listing (and the numbers, with a few adjustments after 1995) is based on the map contained in Kaspar Elm's Norbert von Xanten: Adliger, Ordensstifter, Kirchenfürst, Wienand Verlag, Köln, 1984, page 328-329.