Summary Page:  Former House

Name: Balarin, St. Joseph

Circary at the Time: French

Years of Activity: 1867-1903

Gallery: (none)

Map:  Click Here (Source:  © MapQuest

Monasticon Praemonstratense (III, 334)

Approximate modern location: By Montreal, Dep. Gers, France.  

Elm-Number: 233.  

Other Comments: Priory founded in 1867 by Abbot Joseph Willekens of Mondaye and Countess M. de Galard de Marignan.  Part of the Brabantine Circary until 1896, then the French.  Suppressed in 1880, it was restored in 1887.  Again supressed in 1911 it was sold, and never restored. 

* This listing (and the numbers, with a few adjustments after 1995) is based on the map contained in Kaspar Elm's Norbert von Xanten: Adliger, Ordensstifter, Kirchenfürst, Wienand Verlag, Köln, 1984, page 328-329.